How are headaches and runny nose treated in children ?

Children having headaches and clear runny noses within a few hours after carnival rides, the weather was extremely hot as well. Is this something to be concerned about, since it's been over 24 hrs. and the symptoms have not subsided.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later
Hi ,

Thanks for the Query.

I Would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) How old are your kids?
2.) Were they involved in water sports?
3.) Do they have fever?
4.) Do they have bodyache with chills?

Their Headache is due to Nasal Congestion. Your History suggests your kids are suffering from Rhinorrhea, secondary to either:

1.) Common Cold
2.) Allergy to Dust, Pollen, Food
3.) Acute Sinusitis

Don't worry as, though it is annoying and uncomfortable, it usually clears up on its own. I Would suggest you get them examined by a ENT Specialist so that he/she may examine them and rule out the exact cause for their symptoms. Once confirmed, the treatment will depend upon the cause.

They may require antibiotics and nasal decongestants.You can presently give them Tablet Allerest for the runny nose..

1.) Ask them to get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids including water and fruits juices
2.) Encourage them to rinse their nasal passages regularly
3.) Give them steam inhalations several times a day
4.) Let them sleep with their head end elevated
5.) Apply warm compresses to their face
6.) See to it they stick to the treatment plan and take them for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

I Wish them Good Health.

Take Care.