How are hard bumps and veins in the arms treated ?

I am a 26yo Male who uses methamphetamine 3-5 times daily thru IV methods. OI have had the veins in my arms develop hard bumps, and the veins are no longer easy to ht. Is a coumadin regenim recommended for daily IV meth users to help prevent the hard clotting in the veins? I use warm water, massage after each injection, but they are subsiding very slowly. If coumadin is something that would help., what kind of dosage would be recommened? And for how long?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 35 minutes later
Hi Ibrooks,

I understand that you have been using Methamphetamine 3 - 5 times daily.
Whats happening with you is that, veins where you injecting are getting clotted. This is called superficial thrombophlebitis.

This is occurring due to irritation of the walls of the vein. This is due to repeated injections, methamphetamine itself irritates the vessel wall and due to impurities which are usually present in the injections.

The best way to prevent it is to rotate the sites. This is feasible when the frequency of injections is once a day. More than once a day injections will lead to thrombosis of the said veins.

Coumadin is recommended for thrombosis of deeper veins and not for superficial thromboplebitis. Also using it on long term basis is not recommended and is also harmful as it can lead to excessive bleeding.

As a doctor I would recommended that you should consult a psychologist to get over your addiction. That's the best option.
If not, then you must reduce the frequency such that veins get time to heal.

Thrombophobe Ointments usually helps to heal the superficial thrombophlebitis. you can try that.

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: How are hard bumps and veins in the arms treated ? 1 hour later
Are Thrombophobe Ointments something you can find at a local drug store?
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 5 hours later

Yes, you will get them at any local drug store.

Take Care

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: How are hard bumps and veins in the arms treated ? 2 days later
For my last question....does it matter I live in the US? I can't find this product at ANY of my local drug stores, and every singe website that sells it online is in Europe, China, etc. Can you refer me to a website here in the US (I dont like purchasing from over seas)? I would like to give this a try, but need to know where to acquire it.
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 32 minutes later

Thanks again.

I am not aware of any website in US selling Thrombophobe.

However, I can help to get it mailed to you from my country, if you provide your contact details. You can mail me at YYYY@YYYY and mention your contact details. In subject writ Attn: Dr Kiran Kumar

Again I would like to reinforce that, try and get over it and have a counselling done.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran