How are genital warts treated ?

Hello. Within the past 3 months, I have started to develop painful lumps in my labia majora. They never "come to a head" or drain in any way. They range in size from a pea to a large marble and are very painful. Sometimes as one is forming, there is itching at the site, and they come on very quickly (overnight or quicker). I saw my GYN last week and had one at the time that was very large and painful. He dismissed it as folliculitis and put me on antibiotics and told me to use a sitz bath with warm water and epsom salt to bring it to a head to drain as there was no visible head at the time, just a palpable red lump. Well, the antibiotics didn't work (as of this a.m. I have four) and still nothing has ever come to a head. One got so painful that out of sheer desperation I tried to "drain" it with a needle. I inserted it about 1/4"-1/2" and blood just burst out of it. There was absolutely nothing else in this, just blood, and lots of it. Several days later when I got another, I did the same thing, only this time I inserted the needle at three different angles to make sure I was getting in the lump, and had the same results. I should mention I have an egg-sized mass growing in my axilla that my GYN had me get an MRI for a few days ago. I XXXXXXX with him Monday for the results. Any heads-up on what this might be? I don't like being "surprised" and would just like to know the possibilities for this. I am 37 years old with one vaginal birth and a miscarriage in September. Thanks.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

From the information you have submitted it sounds like a possible case of genital warts. From what we understand about genital warts.

We also understand that genital warts are caused by a type of virus. This virus is referred to as a papilloma virus. The virus is transmitted sexually. In order to transmit the virus one does not necessarily need to have any symptoms or any warts. The virus simply lives on and under the skin.

The only way to really make sure that what is going on with you is related to a genital wart would be to see your physician. Your physician can perform a thorough examination and do a very brief test to see if these are really genital warts.

As far as other possibilities in your case there are some inflammatory conditions of the skin which can trigger these kinds of things in the vaginal region but I really do not think that yours is a case where this is going on. I really encourage you to visit with your primary care physician for an true and thorough examination. There is no substitute for an examination to really find out what is going on.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow ups.

Follow-up: How are genital warts treated ? 12 minutes later
There is no possible way this is genital warts as I have tested negative for HPV every time. I thank you for your answer, but if you are not a gynecologist, I would not expect you to know about these things.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I advised you whatever seemed most probable diagnosis to me from the description you gave.

"Sometimes it is really difficult to diagnose a case without actually examining it".

Wish you healthy recovery.