How are gastrointestinal infections treated ?

Hello, My 8 month old son has a heart rate of around 168 bpm, volmiting comes and goes, fever upto 103 and diharriah. We think it might be just a little stomach flu, since its going around, but wanted you advice. We are usin pedialite for hydration. He dose good at keeping it down somtime but vomits others. just want to know if it will be ok till morning, best poss. treatments. anything will help. Thanks
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later

Your son does seem to have an acute gastrointestinal infection. Most important thing is to keep him hydrated by giving small amounts of fluid at frequent intervals. There is no reason to rush to ER as long as baby appears alert, takes some fluid by mouth, is passing urine. Most cases are caused by a viral infection and get better over a few days. You can give paracetamol to bring down the fever. Give solid foods only if vomiting is controlled for some time.

If you see any signs of severe dehydration such as baby appearing dull, lethargic, too sleepy, not passing urine and not able to keep down fluids at all you should get urgent care as intravenous fluids maybe needed.

If the diarrhea is not controlled after 5 days you may need to get a stool test done.

Hope I have answered your query. I am available for your follow up queries.