How are gastric ulcers cured ?

ENT Specialist
I started getting burning sensation top center abdomen slighly right side about two weeks ago. No change in appetite or general health. Pain comes and goes all day long. Not affected by eating at all. Get nauseated on and off thru the day. Eating helps. Lift weights and cardio 5 days per week and eat healthy. 43yo. BM have slowed way down in last week. BM are also very light in color compared to normal. 5'7" 175lbs. Thought is was pancreas but now i think it is GB. GB started gargling today as well.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Peptic Ulcer
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Based on your description, your symptoms are probably due to gastric ulcers. In this condition the prominent symptom is epigastric pain. Such pain decreases after meals or after taking cold diet.

The pathology behind the gastric ulcer formation is increased production of acid secondary to sedentary life style, anxiety, smoking, alcohol, etc

Gastric ulcers can make you nauseated. Inadequate diet intake due to abdominal pain can also make you nauseated.

Now what you will have to do-

1- Change your life style, quit smoking, alcohol, reduce anxiety.

2- Daily aerobics will be benifitial.

3- Drink plenty of fluids.

4- Avoid fatty, and hot / spicy food stuffs.

5- Consult a gastro physician, and start medication. Your doctor may suggest you to get an upper GI endoscopy.

6- For gastric ulcers, there is a fixed dose regimen consisting of proton pump inhibitors (prescription medications) which you will have to take this for a period of 2- 3 weeks.

The most important non pharmacological measure for this condition is to reduce your anxiety level and definitely it will work.

Hope this will help you and I am ready for for future followups ( if any).

Follow-up: How are gastric ulcers cured ? 2 hours later
The lighter color BM means bile doesn't it? Isn't that an indication of GB issues? This morning for the first time i had some pain wrap around the right side of the chest similar to a GB. Can the ulcer also cause change in BM regularity? My diet has not changed at all. I don't smoke and I lift weights and swim 5 days per week. But i have been taking 800mg of ibuprofen daily for almost 20 years.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 19 hours later
Hi again,

The lighter colored BM not necessarily mean bile, and the chances of GB involvement is less in your case.

Yes, the ulcer may cause such symptoms. You are taking NSAID like brufen, which is a common offending cause for gastric ulcer.

So, avoid taking any NSAID like brufen, aspirin etc. and follow the above advice, and I am sure that you will be alright soon.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a speedy recovery.