Ask a Dentist   »  

How are damaged ligaments and injured muscles repaired ?

About 2 months ago I foolishly did the splits w/o stretching. I'm in my late 30's but am in very good shape and jog 3-4 times a week, also very flexible. I have been having pain in my buttock, lower back and hamstring. Strectching usually makes it worse. I have a slight limp most of the time. I have been seeing a chiropractor and it helps very little. What did I do to myself and can it be fixed?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Well,you could have damaged a ligament or injured a muscle here.Most likely in the hamstrings .When you do a split,the maximum pressure occurs on the upper thighs and the lower back. 2 months is a long time and in case of over stretching of a muscle,that sure would have have healed by now. But since you are still in pain, and limping slightly,you need to rule out the possibility of ligament injury.

You should see a orthopedic surgeon/sports medicine specialist who will do the necessary tests,probably an MRI to confirm the cause. Your condition can be treated. You will need rest and physical therapy. You may also need muscle relaxants.

In the meanwhile, do not attempt new exercises on your own. Take as much rest as possible. You can try applying icepack to the area and use a compression bandage. You may have a grade 2 injury so try using crutches and avoid putting weight on that side.

A professional can help with stretching exercises and even diathermy if required.

I suggest you see a sports medicine specialist.

Hope I have answered your queries. I'm available for your follow ups.