How are damaged leg nerves and vertigo treated ?

Before we start, let me be clear: I have an account with your company. My chat on Thursday was interrupted when I attempted to extend the chat time. When I did so, the chat vanished. I don't want to be charged now with two chats.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: How are damaged leg nerves and vertigo treated ? 9 minutes later
My original question was directed to a neurologist. There was no medical category related specifically to my question, so I had to choose something to proceed. Do you have my original question about leg nerve damage?
Follow-up: How are damaged leg nerves and vertigo treated ? 3 hours later
Vertigo attack 1/11. Bottom of legs weak after that. Test by local neurologist says leg nerves are damaged;nothing can be done. Muscles can't function properly to regain full equilibrium. Can you confirm the doctor's opinion or is there some kind of solution?
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 5 hours later

Sorry for what happened to you earlier during the chat. You have two problems mentioned here. One is the vertigo and the other one damage to the leg nerves.

Vertigo or a sense of imbalance due to problems either in the inner ear, cerebellum, spinal cord or peripheral nerves in the legs. When there is damage to the nerves in the legs, cerebellum does not get feed back of the position of the body, head, arms and legs in the space. So when you walk you have imbalance and sometimes even falls related to it.

Once a nerve is damaged usually it does not recover back. Only thing what can be done is to prevent further damage to the nerves. This can be done only when we find out what was the cause for the nerve damage. You have Hypothyroidism which can also cause nerve problems over a period of time.

So my advice is to do a like to provide you with specific suggestions once I go through your reports.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: How are damaged leg nerves and vertigo treated ? 7 hours later
I have an appointment with my local neurologist in about three weeks. I don't know the formal name of the leg test he performed. Would this provide the necessary information for you or is the nerve conduction study different? In any case, it will be a while before I can provide whatever you need.
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

Thanks for getting back to me.

If the problem is in the nerves as suggested by your Neurologist definitely this test picks up the degree of damage to the nerves. If the problem is in the spinal cord or cerebellum then this test will be normal. So we will wait for the Neurologist to order for the tests. Mean time you need to take some precautions. If you fell dizzy while getting up or walking see that you support yourself or sit or lie down untile it disappears. This will prevent falls in you. Be careful when you are walking in the dark and on slippery surface. Walk with your feet placed wide apart as this will improve your balance. Ok then take care till you XXXXXXX your Neurologist.

Wish you good health.