How are circulation problems in the feet treated ?

I am a 42 yr old woman. I am 5' 7" and weigh 173 lbs. I have small brownish purple circles on the inside of one ankle due to circulation problems in my legs. I have had circulation problems for at least 15 yrs. Would it be safe to try to bleach these? Or would there be another better way to make these less noticeable?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

If the brown-purple spots are cause by circulation problems as reported by you, bleach won't help much because bleach works on the superficial layer of the skin mostly by reducing the melanin pigment. Whereas the discoloration that you see is most likely caused by minor bleeding from broken capillaries in the skin. It is recommended to avoid procedures that can hurt or pull the skin, as they can cause more such spots to appear. Bleaching should be safe (though not helpful) if it does not irritate your skin in any way. Spots caused by bleeding/ clotting disorders usually fade away with time. Treatment is directed at managing the underlying cause.

There is also a possibility that the spots are caused by varicose veins. Varicose veins do cause such pigmentation around ankles. Has your doctor suggested this as a possibility? People who use tobacco in any form or those in professions that involve long periods of standing are more at risk of this condition. If varicose veins are the cause of the spots, you should see a micro vascular surgeon who can treat it.

Hope I have answered your query. I am available for your follow up queries.