How are chronic colds, running nose and sinus infection treated ?

Question
Dear Doctor
My 2 sons are 2.5 & 4.5 years old. Once in 2 months, they definitely get runing nose, sneezes etc. which increases & they start getting temperature. FInally, they are given antibiotics to curb the cough.
Its more of allergic cold.
Kindly suggest ways & means to keep them away from getting such repeated colds. I am highly disturbed by the alarming rate of antibitics & medicines which they have to consume.

Thanks
Kiran S
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Follow-up: How are chronic colds, running nose and sinus infection treated ? 5 minutes later
I am welcome to Ayurvedic or non medicinal approach to solve the problem.
I want to make my kids healthy , improve the immune system.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 41 minutes later

I see that your children are having repeated cold, running nose and sneezing. It can be due to repeated viral infections, sinus infections, allergic rhinitis or allergies.

When a person with allergies breathes in an allergen such as pollen or dust, antibodies are produced. When the antibodies are stimulated by pollen and dust, histamine and other chemicals are released. This causes itching, swelling, and mucus production which may cause sneezing, cold and mucus drainage.

To prevent recurrent colds, wash their hands thoroughly and frequently, especially after blowing their noses, cover their noses and mouths when coughing or sneezing, do not use the same towels or eating utensils as someone who has a cold and check out if they are in contact with friends or someone in school has repeated cold infections. Viruses causing cold are highly contagious and your older child may be catching it from school/ day care.

If you have a family history of allergies and asthma then you should get your children evaluated for any allergies, allergic rhinitis or asthma. To rule out any repeated sinus infections, you should get an ENT examination along with transillumination test of sinuses or x-ray sinuses done. The golden rule for chronic sinus congestion is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the build up of mucus in the nose. Since the younger child is too young for steam inhalation, you can use a humidifier in their room.

They may also be having a lowered immune system which predisposes them to frequent infections soon. Poor diet and low iron contents causing anemia may cause lack of essential nutrients which may make the body less fit to fight germs. Eating a healthy, balanced diet and hydrating the body with plenty of water can help their immune system be stronger.

Also get their hemoglobin levels checked to check for any anemia. Give them more of vitamin C which is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine. You can give them a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C like citrus fruits, oranges, papaya, grapefruit, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapple.

Let children be involved in more physical activities,outdoor sports than indoor games.This builds immunity.

Ayurvedic and traditional medicines should be used in children with caution and only after physical examination and consulting an ayurvedic specialist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How are chronic colds, running nose and sinus infection treated ? 26 hours later
I want to know the simple technique to find whether the child is allergic towards certain food or food habits.
I heard that my children are allergic to citrus fruits.

Thanks
Kiran

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me. There are many techniques for detremining food allergy. It is after careful history taking, elimination diets and investigations like skin and blood tests (like RAST).

Elimination diet is a simple procedure for detrmining food allergy. In this the patient does not eat a food suspected of causing the allergy and substitutes another food for that food. If after the patient removes the food, the symptoms go away, then food allergy is thought of. If the patient then resumes eating the food and the symptoms return, this sequence confirms the diagnosis. But this test should be done under a dermatologist's guidance.

However the double-blind food challenge has become the gold standard for objective allergy testing. You can get it done from an allergist.

Follow-up: How are chronic colds, running nose and sinus infection treated ? 19 hours later
Thank you for the prompt response.
Would like to know, after consuming the susceptible allergic food, how much time would it take to see the impact of the allergens.
I have specific doubts over the citrus fruits. Can you throw some light as to how much time would it take to show the allergic results once these are consumed.

Kiran

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for getting back. A food allergy occurs when the immune system reacts to a certain food. It occurs when the body creates immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies to the food.

When these IgE antibodies react with the food, histamine and other chemicals (called “mediators”) are released, causing hives, asthma, or other symptoms of an allergic reaction like wheezing, cough, nausea etc.

Symptoms usually begin immediately, within 2 hours after eating.

Rarely, the symptoms may begin hours after eating the offending food. So if your children are allergic to citrus fruits, they may develop the allergy symptoms with 5-6 hours of eating the food. For confirming the diagnosis, get elimination test done for citrus fruits from an allergist.

Hope this answers your query. Take care and regards.