How are cholesterol levels controlled ?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hi, My age is 33 years/ My Total Cholesterol is 201 mg/dl, Serum Triglycerides is 172mg/dl, LDL Cholesterol is 142mg/dl, VLDL Ch. is 24 mg/dl HDL Cholesterol is 35 mg/dl. Colesterol HDL Ratio is 5.74. I just had a thorough check up, my ECG and TMT are normal and Doctor told me everything is normal exept the high cholestrol. Iam a Vegan, no smoking/drinking, I recently started with health club (Workout schedule 4 days in a week) - 20Min Cardio, 10Min Cross Trainer & 10Min Cycling. Burning avg 300Cal. Please suggest how i can keep the above in control & is there any threat to my heart health
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Cholesterol
Follow-up: How are cholesterol levels controlled ? 10 minutes later
Please find below the details of Liver Function Test

Alkaline Phosphatase 58 IU/L
Total Bilirubin 0.7mg/dl
Direct Bilirubin 0.3 mg/dl
Total Protein 7.98 g/dl
Albumin 4.79 g/dl
Globulin 3.19 g/dl
A/G Ratio 1.50

FBS 106 mg/dl
PPBS 112 mg/dl

Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 14 hours later
Thank you for your query.

As per the values that you have given above, the cholesterol levels are marginally high. Other test reports appear to be normal.

The target values for cholesterol is as follows:
Total chol < 200 mg/dl
Triglycerides < 150 mg/dl
LDL chol <130 mg/dl; preferably <100mg/dl
HDL chol >40mg/dl

Please remember that the blood cholesterol values present now will be reflected in your later life as deposited cholesterol in your blood vessel, especially the coronary arteries of your heart and the arteries of your brain. Therefore, it is imperative that you take adequate precautions now to prevent disease occurring at a later age.

Your values are not too far away from normal. If you do not have any other risk factors like smoking, family history of premature heart disease/stroke/peripheral arterial disease, hypertension and diabetes, you can try and control the cholesterol levels with lifestyle management.

This includes a good diet low in fat. Since you are a vegan, you can take plenty of fruits and vegetables, skimmed milk (fat-free) approx 200ml/day, avoid curds (use buttermilk instead), avoid ghee, butter, cheese, avoid yolk of egg, avoid fried food of all types, limit the oil used for cooking and avoid re-using the oil.

In addition, daily exercise in the form of walking for half an hour per day is advisable. The exercise regimen that you are currently following is good.

You should do a repeat fasting lipid profile after 3 months. If you have reached your targets, you can continue with diet and exercise. If not, you might need some drugs to help you to attain your lipid goals.

Since your ECG and TMT are normal, it is unlikely that you have any obstructive blockages in your coronaries at present. However, it is not possible to predict future events based on these tests. Hence, you need to be prudent and take preventive steps as outlined above. As of now, I would say that you have no reason to be excessively worried.

I hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask for any specific clarifications.
Dr R S Varma