How are breast lumps treated ?

31 year old male, 210 lbs, I don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs or take any prescription meds. I have a golf ball sized lump in my right breast that recently feels prickly or itchy at times. It came out of nowhere a few months ago and hurt for a few days when it first appeared. I also have a smaller lump in my right hand that REALLY hurts when touched. ( I think it might be pressing against a nerve or something.) It is on my index finger to the left of my knuckle. I also haven't been able to smell anything in the past few months. I don't know if all these are issues related- are they individual issues, or somehow connected? What kind of doctor should I go see?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 36 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. All these symptoms do not seem to be connected with each other. It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     Is the breast lump soft to touch or hard in consistency and is it present on the skin or inside the breast?
2)     Is the breast lump mobile and is it rubbery to touch?
3)     Is the lump accompanied by changes such as skin dimpling or puckering, redness or scaling of the nipple or breast skin or discharge from nipples?

Hard, painful lumps could result from an injury, infection, cyst or fibrocystic change. If lumps are accompanied by breast tenderness and redness, it may suggest an infection. Breast malignancy (although less likely in your case) presents with hard, painless, immovable lumps, nipple discharge and skin changes.

The painful bump under the index finger looks like a ganglion cyst which is a fluid filled sac and is most frequently located around the dorsum of the wrist and on the fingers. Physical examination, X-rays and ultrasounds are used to examine the joint and establish the contents of the sac.

Lastly, lack of smell is called anosmia which can be common after cold, flu or rhinitis. Other than that it can be due to nasal polyps or benign growths or some neurological causes. Hence it is better to get an ENT examination done. You need to consult your primary physician for both the problems. Most experienced physicians will be able to help in both the conditions. Else an ENT specialist for the loss of smell can be referred.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.