How are bleeding disorders due to aspirin usage treated ?

In the last six months I developed large red/purple bruises on my forearms. I often don't even feel a bump or scrape. My forearms are almost totally covered. I am 64, in good physical condition. I take an asprin everyday as order by my cardiologist.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

Development of large purple bruises on your arms spontaneously without any history of injury is suggestive of a bleeding disorder.

In your case, prolonged intake of aspirin seems to be the most likely cause.

You need to consult your physician to get a complete blood coagulation profile checked with APTT(activated partial thromboplastin time) and platelet count to rule out other possible causes like thrombocytopenia.

This can also happen due to a viral infection in the recent past.It decreases the synthesis of platelets from the bone marrow.
Presence of any autoimmune disorders also needs to be ruled out.

The treatment is based on the diagnosis and severity of the problem.

Treatment is usually done by stopping aspirin, fluid infusion, steroids, immunoglobulins, blood transfusions, etc according to the severity of the condition.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.