Ask a Urologist   »  

How are bladder and pelvic pain treated ?

Oncologist
Question
I HAVE LOW GRADE BLADDER CA AND STILL GOING EVERYTHING 3MONTHS, MY URINE CYTOLOGY HAS ALWAYS BEEN NEGATIVE LATELY BEEN HAVING PELVIC DISCOMFORT WELL NOT SURE IF ITS BLADDER OR PELVIC?? CONFUSED OVER LOCATION. WENT 3 MONTHS AGO FOR CYSCOSCOPY GO EVERYT 3 MONTHS SOMETIMES THER IS LITTLE SOMETHING THEY ZAP IT SOMETIMES NOTHING VERY SCARED TO GO THIS TIME. THINK URINE IS GOING TO BE POSITIVE AND CANCER WENT FROM LOW GRADE TO HIGH GRADE CANT SEEM TO SHAKE MY FEARS,
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to give you some good information and recommendations.

Let me reassure you that if you are following the 3 monthly visits with cystoscopy it is very unlikely that we have anything serious going on here. I completely understand your anxiety about all of this. I doubt very much that there is any issue inside the bladder.

I would suggest however that you discuss getting a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis with your doctor. That will help provide us with even more reassurance that you are healthy with nothing to worry about here.

I thank you again for the query and hope my answer is both helpful and informative for you. Should you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: How are bladder and pelvic pain treated ? 1 hour later
YOU HAVE JUST MADE ME RELAX AND NOT THINK MY NEXT APPOITMENT THIS WEEK IS GING TO BE BAD i KNOW I ALWAYS HAVE THE RISK OF IT COMING BACK AND IT HAS I'M JUST ALWAYS THINKING ONE OF THESE TIMES THEY ARE GOING TO SAY SORRY IT HAS ADVANCED INTO YOUR MUSCLE AND THERE IS NOTHING MORE WE CAN DO, CA'NT STOP MYSELF FROM THINKING NEGATIVE, i ALSO WENT TO MY GYNO WITH NOT SURE BLADDER/PELVIC PAIN FOR EXAM SHE SAID PAP WAS FINE EXAM WAS FINE NOTHING UNUSUAL I MENTIONED HAVING ULTRASOUND SHE SAID NEXT YEAR WE WOULD DO THAT MY PERIODS ARE REGULAR MY PELVIC EXAM WAS FINE AND PAP WAS FINE SHE DIDNT FEEL THE NEED THIS YEAR. i GUESS I'M JUST FEARFUL OF THE UNKNOWN WITH THIS CANCER
Follow-up: How are bladder and pelvic pain treated ? 12 hours later
thanks for info, i actually was just at my gyno for exam and pelvic exam negative pap smear negative, i suggested an ultrasound to her but she said we would do that next year she felt my exam didn't warrent it, my periods are regular, her exam didn't notice anything unusal, even though i have this pelvic discomfort, just wondering if it could be something called cycytitis not sure if I spelled that right and it feels like its pelvic discomfort thanks so much for you responses to my worrysome questions.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX and thanks for the followups.

Again let me reassure you that I am not in the line of thinking that this pelvic discomfort represents anything malignant. While cystitis is a consideration it generally would cause some degree of blood in the urine and subsequently an abnormal urinalysis. If you'd like more reassurance in that sense you could even go to the pharmacy and get a home urinalysis kit to further rule this out.

The surveillance cystoscopy is very effective at catching recurrence early and before it has a chance to invade the muscle of the bladder. I am sure you will continue the regular followup visits there to make sure this becomes something that you simply manage. Most patients do exceedingly well with this type of followup schedule.

As far as what else could be causing the discomfort - perhaps an imbalance of the muscle tone of the pelvic floor muscles? You might consider doing some pelvic floor muscle exercises (you can google this) for a few weeks to see if this makes a difference. Also, you could try a period of anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen. Taking 400 mg of ibuprofen 3 times per day for 2-3 weeks might be reasonable and it may help resolve a possible underlying musculoskeletal cause.

Again I thank you for the question and followups and hope I have given you some good information here. I am always here if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga