How addictive can Afrin be?

How addictive can Afrin be potentially? Also if Flonase & Afrin would be not good to take @ the same time
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 35 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for showing interest in our site.

Afrin is a nasal decongesant used to clear the nasal pathway from any obstruction caused by allergies, dust, infections, etc. It contains oxymetazoline. This is a very effective drug and can be used to provide almost 90-100 % relief, but should be controlled.

The reason why this drug has to be used carefully is because it has such a strong impact on the user and makes breathing so much more easier, that the user tends to overuse this. This increases dependency, and users get addicted to it. If a user can control their requirement, and control their need for using this drug, it should not be potentially troublesome. The one and only main side-effect of this drug is that due to overuse, the body develops a mechanism, that causes the exact opposite effect on using this medicine.

Let me explain this better. If the user has some congestion in the nose, they use this drug, and the congestion will increase. This is a side-effect that results from overusing this medication. So you will have to use this, only when required.

Flonase (fluticasone propionate) is a medication used to treat allergic and non-allergic rhinits. There have only been reported drug interactions with ritonavir and ketoconazole, and no other drugs. So it is safe to be used along with Afrin.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.