How accurate is the CT scan in detecting lesions?

Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Wish you happy new year! I just visited for 2 days in Hyderabad. I visited Apollo Hyderabad Cancer Center and meet with a Oncology Surgeon. He physically examined me and told that its a lypoma and about my groin pain he checked me and asked me to caugh and then told me nothing is there. I requested him to write for me a PET scan but then he told me that PET scan is extremely sensetive and may pick up here and there one node which further increase my anxiety. On my continuous request he wrote a whole abdomen CT scan with contrast. My abdomen CT scan is normal. Further the oncology surgeon told me I am absolutely fine. Now my question is that is it the normal procedure to go for CT scan and How much I can trust on entire process. With best regards,
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Meher Lakshmi Konatam 22 hours later
Brief Answer: happy new year Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, I wish you a very happy new year. Glad that your clinical examination and CT scan are normal. CT scan is very sensitive in picking up lesions and can be relied upon. Now you can forget about everything and concentrate on your professional and personal life without fearing any disease process in your body. Take care