How accurate is negative RPR test at 39 days post exposure?

how accurate is a neg rpr test at 39 days post exposure?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Hi, Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Post exposure at 39 days, if you are affected by syphilis then rpr test will show positive(antibodies).

Since it is negative for you and if no other symptoms has appeared by now then you don't seem to be suffering with syphilis.

Falso negative RPR test result occur if one is treated for early or late syphilis because of low antibodies. You can confirm by getting VDRL test done.

Hope I answered your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.

Wish you good health. Take care.

Dr. Lohit K
Follow-up: How accurate is negative RPR test at 39 days post exposure? 57 minutes later
i just had many cranker sores inside my mouth 7 months after the exposure
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 56 minutes later
Hi, thanks for the followup query,

These sores may be due to many cause; but most common due to stress, vitamin deficiency and viral illness.

Do salt water gargle, take lot of fluids, fruits, vitamin supplements and also have regular out door exercises to avoid stress. If painful apply topical local antibiotic (I prefer orogel) before having food to prevent pain.

Very rarely primary syphilis manifest as mouth ulcer. If present, it manifests as a single ulcer usually in upper lip. As you have multiple and also RPR is negative, the chances of syphilis is very minimal. You can get VDRL test done if you have any suspicion.

Hope I clarified your query. Wish you good health.