Hot joints, serum sickness, high fever, immunoglobulins test, basic allergy test, on pulmicort, albuterol, singulair, allegra, patanase

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 15 month old has hot joints (they are not swollen). He has previously had serum sickness, where he did have hot swollen joints but in this instance, there is no accompanying rash or redness around the joints. He had a high fever last week thought to be a virus and his joints were significantly hotter than the rest of the body even with the 104 fever. I had not noticed his joints being hotter prior to this virus last week but was not really looking for it either.

He is on pulmicort, albuterol, singulair, allegra, patanese daily. We have had his immunoglobulins tested as well as basic allergy testing ... all of which came back negative. He has gone more than 2 weeks without being sick since October/November and he clearly reacts to some foods with a rash (even those he tested negative for). He has been hospitalized twice (serum sickness at 10 months and RSV at 12 months).

Are the joints something I should be worried about or is it likely just a result of this virus? Would you recommend seeing an allergist/immunologist and what would you ask for?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 5 hours later

I would be bothered if the general condition of the child worsens. You said 104 degree temperature, which needed medical attendance. I would be more bothered about hyperthermia than his joints.

Serum sickness can also present with hot joints which last up to a few days. You needn't worry about that unless there is swelling/ redness and your baby is getting sick.

You need to see a Dermatologist / Immunologist to identify the allergens. This will give you an idea which ones to avoid and if contacted what can be the measures you can take at home.

I Hope your query is answered. I will be available for your follow up queries.

Thank you.