Hot flashes, sleeplessness. On HRT for a long time. Prescribed with medroxyprogesterone. Taking prednisone for temperal arthritis

I am 68 yrs old and was on HRT for a number of years, but have been off them now for about 3 months, the hot flushes have returned, sleepless night, short tempered etc,so the doctor put me on medroxyprogesterine one in the morning and one at night. Having read the patient information leaflet, it does not mention menopause (2nd time round) anywhere. I already take 5ml of prednisalone daily for temperal artiritis, Please advise r
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 4 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Medroxyprogesterone acetate is a steroidal progestin drug and recent studies have shown that it is effective in combating hot flashes.

Sleeplessness may be due to the partial airway obstruction and Medroxyprogesterone acetate improves ventilation in postmenopausal females with partial upper airway obstruction during sleep without compromising sleep. The ventilatory improvement is sustained for at least 3 weeks posttreatment.

Most of the symptoms can be decreased by healthy lifestyle. Regular exercise can help protect against cardiovascular disease as well as osteoporosis, and exercise also has known mental health benefits.

I advice you to try to control your temper and it will be beneficial. You can also consider using anti anxiety drugs if you are not able to control your temper.

I think your consulting doctor has prescribed the drug keeping these things in his mind.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Hot flashes, sleeplessness. On HRT for a long time. Prescribed with medroxyprogesterone. Taking prednisone for temperal arthritis 9 hours later
thankyou for your reply , as far as exercise is concerned I think i take enough, golf,curling gardening nearly two acres, walking dogs not to mention grandchildren. The reason one gets ratty is lack of sleep which is the main problem caused by these hot i will continue with these pills in the hope they will help. thankyou for your advice, I am now going on an airplane to Europe so i hope no DVT occu.r XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 6 minutes later
Good to hear from you.

Follow the consulting doctor's advice you should be fine.