Hot flashes, shortening of cycle, had uterine ablation treatment. Bloating, gassiness, nausea. What are my chances of becoming pregnant?

Question
I am 45. In the past year I have experienced hot flashes, shortening of my cycle and various other perimenopause symptoms. In 2001 I had the uterine ablation treatment along with my tubes cut and burned. My partner of 3 years had a vasectomy approximately 8 years ago. I just turned 45 and have now skipped a period, yet I feel all the symptoms of PMS for the last two weeks, along with bloating and gassiness and hunger and nausea. I gues i have myself a little worried that i could be pregnant because this is the first time I have skipped a period other than when i had children in my 20's. With the information listen above, what are my chances of being pregnant, or are my perimenopause symptoms just becoming more noticable and worse? Do I have myself overly worried over this?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 50 minutes later

Tubal ligation, regardless of whether the tubes are cut, burned, clipped, banded, or tied, is about 99 percent effective, meaning that about 1 percent of women will conceive an unplanned pregnancy after tubal ligation. This failure occurs slightly more frequently in younger women and after 3 years of tubal ligation. But given your partner’s history of vasectomy, chances of pregnancy are remote.

This skipping of periods can be due to perimenopause in your case.

However to confirm the status of pregnancy, I suggest you to test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive pregnancy test 10 days post ovulation with a sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test. Also then I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Hot flashes, shortening of cycle, had uterine ablation treatment. Bloating, gassiness, nausea. What are my chances of becoming pregnant? 37 minutes later
I also had uterine ablation. Does this decrease my chances of pregnancy even more?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The goal of the endometrial ablation is to permanently remove the endometrial cells that make up the lining of the uterus. Although the chances of pregnancy are considerably reduced after endometrial (uterine) ablation, the chances of pregnancy still exist after this procedure. However, severe complications can occur in the pregnancy.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any additional questions or follow up queries, then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Follow-up: Hot flashes, shortening of cycle, had uterine ablation treatment. Bloating, gassiness, nausea. What are my chances of becoming pregnant? 7 hours later
I prefer natural remedies. Do you have any preferred multi vitamin for peri-menopause

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

You can take multivitamins like Zincovit after meals and consult your gynecologist for the hormonal replacement therapy. Zincovit may cause gastritis, so it is better to take it after meals.

You can also take Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators like Femarelle which is derived from a botanical source (Phytoserms) or phytoestrogens which have an estrogenic effect on the body and therefore create a moderated estrogenic effect. But, please consult your doctor and then take the medicine under her supervision.