Hot and painful leg below knee, no swelling. Have fever.

Hot painfull right leg below. Knee febrile 37.8 for 6hours Leg not swollen color ok pain discomfort in calf of leg
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Radhika 54 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.

You are experiencing painful right leg which is slightly hot. There can be many causes for this like if you are overweight this may also cause ache in the legs during the night time because of the increased burden of work for the leg muscles.

The other possibility to consider is restless leg syndrome (RLS). A typical feature of this is pain and aching on lying down, which gets better on walking.

The causes for this can also be Anemia, Hereditary, Diabetes, Kidney failure, Peripheral Neuropathy and varicose veins. All this should also be ruled out by your physician.

You could follow the following remedies:
1. Cutting back on or eliminating caffeine, alcohol and tobacco may help improve your symptoms.
2. Other self-care steps that may provide relief include taking an over-the-counter pain reliever such as Advil 200mg twice a day for 5 days and massaging your legs while soaking in a warm bath.
3. Try relaxation techniques, such as meditation or yoga. Stress can aggravate RLS. Learn to relax, especially before going to bed at night.
4. Exercise. Getting moderate, regular exercise may relieve symptoms of RLS.

Physical examination by your physician is mandatory to confirm the exact cause among the possibilities I have mentioned.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.