Hospitalized for unexplained internal bleeding, upper GI and colonoscopy normal. No family history of cancer. Your opinion?

I was hospitalized two days ago with internal bleeding, cause unknown, and received 2 units of blood. This is the 2nd time in 3 years. I have gone thru numerous upper GI's and colonscopys and swallowing the camera once. Nothing. I am home now, not feeling well & see my dr. tomorrow. I am 61 and female, don't drink and have never smoked. I have never been in any kind of accident or taken drugs or alcohol. They say it is up to me if I want to go through all the upper and lower GI's, but leaks are rarely found. No cancer in our family, but, I am afraid this is leading to something. What is your opinion?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 57 minutes later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you pass dark tarry stools?
2.) Do you vomit blood?
3.) Was there any bleeding from your anal canal?
4.) Have you had a weight loss?

Your History suggests it could be due to any liver pathology like,

1.) Cirrhosis of liver as seen in Hepatitis, Biliary Cirrhosis, Bile Duct disease or alcoholic liver disease (ALD), since you are a non alcoholic, ALD is ruled out.
2.) Blood clot in your portal vein, which is a vein that carries impure blood from the stomach, the intestines, the spleen, the gallbladder, and the pancreas to the liver.

These causes lead to a condition called Esophageal Varices which can be diagnosed through Endoscopy and if they are confirmed they are ligated or variceal banding is done to stop the bleeding.

The other causes for internal bleeding could be,

1.) Colon cancer
2.) cancer of stomach or small intestine
3.) Intestinal polyps which are a pre cancerous condition.

All the can be confirmed through repeated Endoscopies or colonoscopies.

The other causes which have to be ruled out include,

1.) Diverticulosis
2.) Gastric ulcer
3.) Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

You need a thorough evaluation by a Gastroenterologist, Kindly do not delay because regular bleeding can make you anemic and weak. Report to your doctor at the earliest so that he/she may examine you and run a thorough blood and urine work, suggest further tests to arrive at a appropriate diagnosis so that proper treatment could be initiated at the earliest without any further delay.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
3.) Avoid smoking if you do.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.