Hospitalized for multiple VTs and a VF. How serious is her LVEF percentage?

My wife had multiple VTs and one VF. She was hospitalised and saved. Her LVEF is 25%. hOW SERIOUS IS lvef OF 25%
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 53 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
An ejection fraction EF means how much blood is pumped out by heart with each beat and normally it is 50 to 60%.
EF is a good indicator of the functioning of heart and gets affected by the previous and current ailments like cardiomyopathies and heart attacks.
Although many people can live with EF lower than 25 but the life is not good and almost like cardiacaly crippled.
The longevity or seriousness of the patient depends upon the ongoing condition of heart and if the patient has some progressive disease then person does not have much time left although it become difficult to quantify it.
Your wife requires a constant attention by a cardiologist but still nothing can be said.
Wish you and your wife best of luck.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any other query.
Follow-up: Hospitalized for multiple VTs and a VF. How serious is her LVEF percentage? 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply? what does progressive disease means? and generaly what is the estimated life span in these cases?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Progressive means disease process which is still in progress like cardiomyopathies.
As I told you earlier,you can not estimate or quantify the span of life.