Hospitalized for atrial fibrillation. Taken Cardizem, sotalol, metapropolol. History of gall bladder surgeries. Need to continue blood thinners?

Question
See my last discussion ----last week I was afib following two gall bladder surgeries
previously to this, no heart issues

i was given Cardizem for two days in hospital, and then released and taking Sotalol and Metapropolol together ... beta blockers -- i am at home taking these-- and don't feel ill or notice any sign of afib ... are these meds preventing me from having another episode?, or could it be that i will be ok without it ... the doctor also gave a blood thinner also i did not start this Your cardiologist suggested i disconitnue the meds.

i dont feel i have a chronic conditlon, only the known stress induced afib from the ops..
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 minutes later

I can understand your concern. I think the cardiologist here contrary to your doctor suggest you to withdraw from betablockers - sotalol and metapropolol considering afibrillation post operatively may be a temporary one.

Rate-control medicines such as beta-blockers usually do not return your heart to a normal rhythm; in other words, your heartbeat might still be irregular. But these medicines can prevent your heart from beating at a dangerously fast rate.

We would be in a better position to know if you are still in atrial fibrillation or reverted back to sinus rhythm by looking at your recent EKG. If the current EKG shows afibrillation, the medication prescribed to you needs to be continued along with the blood thinners like warfarin or Aspirin to prevent any atherosclerotic plaque formation and hence the risk of stroke and further episodes of atrial fibrillation.

I suggest you to upload a recent EKG here using the upload feature available on this webpage.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Hospitalized for atrial fibrillation. Taken Cardizem, sotalol, metapropolol. History of gall bladder surgeries. Need to continue blood thinners? 6 hours later
so then the beta blockers aren't adressing the afibriilation, but for prevention.

If it's now returned to sinus rhythm, that is not a result of the medication.

I am contacting a physician/cardiologist to assess my ongoing heart rate for that. i have not had this before, does that increase my chances of recovery?

i will forward ekg info as available

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

When a cause of atrial fibrillation is identified and treated, the arrhythmia often goes away. And yes, beta blockers are given only to prevent heart from beating dangerously fast. The cause if any needs to be addressed.

Further atrial fibrillation is less likely to go away in people who have long-standing rheumatic heart disease or any condition in which the atria are enlarged. I see that you mentioned you do not have any such medical illness. Hence it is better to get a cardiovascular assessment done.

You can attach the EKG with this query so that I can have a look at it as it will help me in understanding your condition better.

If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Hospitalized for atrial fibrillation. Taken Cardizem, sotalol, metapropolol. History of gall bladder surgeries. Need to continue blood thinners? 38 minutes later
i was prescribed TWO beta blockers at the same time-- is it needed to double up??

my appointment with the new doctor is in two days and will update

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I don't think it makes sense to use 2 beta blockers at the same time. It is better to use a single beta blocker, may be in a higher dose.

Please do update me on the same. I sincerely hope this helps.