Hospitalized after bleeding from the colon. On Cumadin. Which is the good medicine?

General Surgeon
My husband has been in the hospital 3 times with bleeding from the colon. They have him on Cumadin 1 mg tab zydu at 6:00PM. . I'm taking him to his Dr this afternoon and I'm wanting to know what is a good drug for him to be on? XXXXXXX Stemen
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please check his INR first.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

It all depends what is the reason of bleeding. It can be colon cancer indeed. However most common reason of fresh blood in the stool are hemorrhoids. Such blood is usually on the surface of the stool.
If the reason is colon cancer, blood is mixed with the stool. Inflammatory bowels diseases can also give blood in the stool (mixed with it).

Cumadin can also be the reason of bleeding. I suggest him to have INR checked first (should be around 2,5-3). Colonoscopy should be also done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.