Horrible stomach pain with nausea and bloating. Having my period. Reason for this pain?

General Surgeon
Stomach PainsSince Monday I have been having very horrible stomach pains. I get nauseous and bloated. I haven't thrown up but I haven't done an actually bowel movement ever since Sunday. I am on my period but I haven't had this type of pain ever. I take gas x and other helps a little. What should I do? What do I have?
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 45 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can be caused by bowels obstruction. This is the first thing you should have ruled out. With such obstruction, abdomen gets bloated and significantly bigger, sensitive to the touch. Nausea appears as well as vomiting, there is no stool and gases. It is more possible if you have had constipations previously.
Such obstruction can be caused by several diseases including adhesions, hernia, inflammatory intestines disease, colon cancer.
I suggest you to go to the ER and have abdominal X-ray performed as this may be urgent. If no findings in this test, abdominal ultrasound should be performed as well as full blood work, urine analysis.
You should also get scheduled for colonoscopy especially if there was any blood or mucus in stool before.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.