Homozygous for MTHFR1298 mutation. On Prozac. Tried multiple antidepressants. No improvement. Deplin and Prozac combination therapy?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I am a physician and found out I am homozygous for the MTHFR1298 mutation. Have been on 20 mg of Prozac per day for years. I have tried multiple antidepressants with poor results or side effects. Are there any contraindications to combining Prozac with Deplin? I have tried Deplin before and feel it makes me feel more emotional. I know it takes approximately three months to see the full benefits of a nutraceutical. What is your opinion of Deplin and Prozac for combination therapy? Thank you.
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The combination will work better.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

People who are homozygous for the MTHFR A1298C mutation are prone to developing depression which often is resistant to treatment with antidepressant drugs. Supplementation with active forms of folate helps counter this and also improves response to anti-depressant medicines.

There is no harm in adding Deplin to your treatment regimen. It will improve the response to Prozac. This is a well known strategy for augmenting the action of anti-depressants and is safe in recommended dosages. So please do not worry and go ahead.

Hope this answers your query. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry