Home pregnancy test, HCG hormone, hunger, cramps

Hi, i am XXXXXXX XXXXXXX house wife, age 30 years and now staying in gujarat. My present weight is 70 Kg and height is 5 feet 4 inch. i am married since two years and last two months we are trying for our first baby.
In earlier days, my periods were little bit irregular. It happened long periods(20 days long in average) in two times, and cured after consultation with doctors.
At present my period is due since 18th Mar-2011 . We consulted with doctors on 30th April and Urin pregnency test has been found negetive. Doctor suggested that the period missed due to some other reason and she prescribed one folic acid tablets (Folvite) for seven days. She told to check with home pregnency test after seven day. If the result found negetive again then start taking Divery (tablets) to normalise the mences. cycle.
Now, we need second opinon regarding this matter. My queries are whether it is the sign of pregnency? because i am feeling hungry very often, i am feeling cramps in stomach.
Why the periods have missed?
Should i take Divery tablet after seven days?

Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 40 minutes later

Home pregnancy tests detect the presence of the hormone hCG(a glycoprotein hormone secreted by the developing placenta shortly after fertilization. ) in a woman's urine. It can detect pregnancy almost correctly if the test is done after 1 week-10 days after you miss your periods. Your periods were expected on 18th April and since you had done the urine pregnancy test on 30th April, it would have come positive by that time if there was pregnancy.

However sometime it may be possible that it can give you false negative results during early days of pregnancy only because of insufficient level of HCG to make test positive. So it is important to get serum HCG test (blood pregnancy test) done which is more specific than urine for pregnancy test.

I suggest you to get your serum HCG levels checked to confirm the status of your pregnancy or get an ultrasound uterus done which can confirm early pregnancy after 4-5 weeks gestation.

The symptoms that you are having like feeling hungry and cramps in stomach are often found in pregnancy but can be found in other conditions as well. Hence get a serum test done for an accurate pregnancy status.

If pregnancy is ruled out then we need to investigate the other medical conditions causing missed periods. The causes may include conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. It could be hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome, increased stress, eating disorder, increased smoking, alcohol or caffeine use, PCOS, fibroid, polyps and endometriosis or less frequently due to pituitary conditions.

You can take Divery tablets which are used for treating irregular periods and amenorrhea ( lack of periods) as your doctor has advised but make sure to confirm the status of your pregnancy by a serum pregnancy test and ultrasound uterus. You can talk to your doctor about these tests.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.