Holter monitor test,common cold,cough,normal pulse rate,atenolol,arythmia,echo test normal

I am having a holter monitor test this week and I have a common cold with a cough. Will the coughing disrupt the test results? I should mention that the reason I am having the Holter Monitor is that I recently started having episodes of "skipped beats" with an otherwise normal pulse rate in the evenings. I take atenolol for hypertension 100 mg each day in the late evening. I tried taking the atenolol early in the evening and it settles the arythmia down. I had an echo last week that was entirely normal. I came down with this cold and cough and wondered if that is going to give wierd heart rhythm results when I have a coughing episode?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Coughing causes accelerated heart rate by up to 33%. It will definitely alter the results of holter monitor test and might even increase the chances of a skipped beat.
Being a patient, you want that you should clear the test with flying colors.
Being a doctor, we consider cough as a complex reflex response important for survival. It predisposes the heart to an extra work and stress and any abnormality in the cardiac rhythm during the times of stress also should be detected by the test so that we can prepare ourselves well in advance.
You need to inform your doctor about the cough and can proceed with the test.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.