Hollow on arm pit seems being pulled from inside, no pain but getting deeper

In my right arm pit it has a hollow that looks like it is being pulled in from the inside. I have had it quite a while and gives me no pain. But, its getting deeper.
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later

Arm pit is formed by multiple muscle tendons and capsule of the shoulder joint. It consists of pad of fat and some lymphatics and its nodes.

The pain that is caused could most probably be an unintentional or unknowing injury / muscle pull. It should not be worrisome symptom. You can wait for it to subside on itself. The other possibility is bony issue at this age.

Any active treatments like medicines may not improve the outcome or shorten the duration of healing. You can place the arm at rest.

If there is no improvement even after 48 - 72 hour then you may get a local examination done by the GP.

Let me know if you need any clarifications before you rate my answer.

Follow-up: Hollow on arm pit seems being pulled from inside, no pain but getting deeper 6 hours later
Thank you for your reply. You refer in the second paragraph about the PAIN and I did say that there is no pain. As this has been getting worst over months I don't think 48-72 hours is going to make a change.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later
Thanks for clarification.

Yes, I could read that you had no pain in your query first. However I comfortably referred as a pain during my explanation instead of pull. Earlier I did not think the duration of the illness is this prolonged though quoted it for a while.

As I said armpit has lot of converging muscles and any muscle can be severely pulled or disused. If it is pulled it may take for 8 to 10 months for complete rehab. In such case we recommend physical therapy with alternating light and intense work outs.

Thus said it is prudent to seek an opinion from physical and Rehab specialist to understand the nature of the disturbance and provide satisfactory recovery.

I would not be able to comfortably say you whether it is worrisome or benign problem unless we establish a diagnosis. The musculo skeletal problems are nagging and continue for long if untreated during early days. Hence I insist an evaluation with a specialist and not a GP.

Hope I am clear now.