Hole in armpit, not healing, started as abscess. Should I be worried about staph?

I have a small hole within the fold of my right armpit, the hole started as a small abscess and came to the surface and popped of its own accord about a week ago. the hole will not heal. Should I be worried about staph? I have kept the area as clean and dry as possible, which is as hard, and have been steadily applying antibiotic ointment when I can. Should I attempt to clean it out with a saline solution? this has never happened to me before.
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 6 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
From the symptoms it looks like sebaceous cysts. Sebaceous cyst is a closed sac or cyst below the surface of the skin that fills with a white, semi-solid material called sebum produced by sebaceous glands of the epidermis. It is usually painless but can become painful if infected.
What exactly is this can be diagnosed only after examination of the area. Till that time you can apply warm compresses and some topical antibiotics like Neosporin. I advice you to see the surgeon for examination and further management.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.