Ask a Dentist   »  

Hole behind molar, inflamed gums, bleeding gums. Do you think it is periodontal disease?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I have a hole behin my molar. It started out with my gum being inflamed and there was a bubble and it burst and then I started getting a hole behind my molar. My gums have been bleeding on that side of my teeth. Do you think it is periodontal disease? Could it be cancer? I have chewed tobacco for a whille but quit a month ago. I know I should see the dentist, but wanted to see if you have an idea of what it may be.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 3 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.
It is possible that you are suffering from periodontal disease due to food accumulation. The cause for the food accumulation has to be addressed. The cause could be either decay or poor hygiene. If you can clean the region after every meal, then it should resolve in a few days [if it is not due to decay].
If it is due to tooth decay, get the restoration done. The bubble may be due to abscess formation. Therefore, it is better to visit the dentist at the earliest, later you may have to lose the tooth itself.
I would like to reassure you that it is not cancer.
Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries. I will be available for follow up queries.