Hold breath while dreaming and also grunt. Suggestions?

I hold my breath when I dream sometimes, and am startled awake, out of breath. My daughter says that sometimes I grunt. I am thinking about catathrenia, and I think that the description of this condition is a good match, especially when I am stressed. I am looking for some suggestions. What do you think about white noise? Any other ideas.
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Catathrenia or OSA

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

The description that you have given meets two diagnoses
1. Catathrenia
2. Obstructive sleep apnoea

Both if them are quite similar in presentation and the differentiation can be done by polysomnography as the catathrenia pauses occur only during the REM sleep and the end of inspiration where as OSA occurs both during REM as well as NREM.
However to treat them firstly you need to reduce your weight if you are obese.
Secondly there is an equipmet inmmarket called CPAP which gives positive airway pressure and this will help in both the illnesses.
Both the conditions gets exacerbated when you have a upperresitatory tract inefcion or during stress. Make sure there is XXXXXXX infection and if there is any get it treated first.
Regarding stress management, do regular aerobic exercises or walking and do some relaxation exercises like yoga or meditation.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Hold breath while dreaming and also grunt. Suggestions? 11 hours later
I asked you re: your opinion about white noise - for solace and comfort, and for a form of meditation. Also, your response confirmed my research (great). (I am not obese, and I am active, FYI.)
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is effective

Detailed Answer:
Sorry for missing out the last part.
White noise meditation is useful and can help in relaxation. How ever it may not help in the sleep problem that you are having.
Hope that helps
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD