Hoe do i prevent bed sores?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Received excellant info. from Dr. K. Naga XXXXXXX XXXXXXX the last time I contacted your services. I am hoping you can help me now. On Feb. 14th, I will be admitted for a total left hip revision. I am 61 years old, the original hip replacement was put in 2007, pain began 3 years ago and was diagnosed as bursitis. New ortho surg. took xrays, CT and nuclear imaging - hip has infection and must be removed (one of the screws has become "undone" ?) Yesterday 2/11 had a PICC line inserted and was advised I will be put on restricted movement/bed rest for 8 weeks until infection has 0 bacteria level. Went to "class" with physiotherapist who really had never dealt with hip revision. How soon will I get up after surgery, how do I lift my leg when I have been laying down, how do I prevent bed sores? The physiotherapist mentioned isometric exercises but didn't explain. Any other information you can give would be greatly appreciated. I am so nervous.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find your answer below. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for your compliment & nice to hear from you once again. This is just to inform you that the recovery after a REVISION Total hip replacement (THR) will not be that smooth when compared to a PRIMARY THR. It implies that you will not be allowed to bear weight on the operated leg immediately after surgery (as in case of Primary THR). Generally, protected/guarded weight bearing may have to be followed for upto 4-6 weeks of surgery using a walking frame. This again will depend on the type of implants used for your revision surgery and the quality of your bone. So, you have to strictly follow the guidelines given by your operating surgeon. To prevent bed sores, you have to avoid lying in any one particular position for more than 1-2 hours. Another way of preventing bed sores is to use a "water bed". Isometric exercises involves keeping the particular muscles taut without actually moving them through a range of motion. The physiotherapist has to demonstrate you how to perform them. So, inorder to achieve a favourable outcome after the surgery, you have to strictly adhere to the orders given by your operating surgeon and the physiotherapist. Let me know, if you need any more clarification. Regards