Hoarse voice, no cough. Taking hypertension medicines. ENT prescribed augmentin. Done chest xray. What does broncho vascular markings indicate?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am having hoarse voice for past one week. No cough. I am not a smoker. But I take medicines for hypertesion such Amlodepine, Olvance H 40 and Nebistar. I am 70 years old. The ENT doctor started me on Aumentin 625 ( Amox etc) and asked me to get chest x-ray taken. The same shows following:
1. Trachea Normal
2. Prominent bronchovascular markings seen bilaterally
3. Costrophrenic angles are clear
4. Heart Shadow is normal
5.Hilar and mediastinal contours normal
6.Bony thorax is normal
What does one do about the branchovascular markings. Are any more test to be undertaken.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Prominent broncho vascular markings on xray indicate increased blood flow in the bronchial blood vessels of the lungs.
It can be seen in any pathology or inflammation or infection of lungs or upper airways acute(pneumonia) or chronic(tuberculosis, bronchiectasis, etc), sometimes it can be seen in fluid overload conditions or cardiac conditions.
If its reported on xrays but physician finds no abnormal signs on clinical examination it is discarded as a normal xray and nothing needs to be done further.
If clinically it correlates with any pathology then the physician might opt for further investigations like blood tests like.cbp, esr for infection, renal profile and serum electrolytes for fluid electrolyte imbalances, lipid profile and cardiac markers or 2 d echo for heart problems or ct scan to.rule out
In your case it could be a normal finding or minor congestion caused by the cold and sore throat i.e upper respiratory infection.since you are already put on antibiotics the risk of developing pneumonia is unlikely.
So your doctor might not go for further investigations unless he finds some other signs on auscultation of lungs and heart sounds.
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Hoarse voice, no cough. Taking hypertension medicines. ENT prescribed augmentin. Done chest xray. What does broncho vascular markings indicate? 6 hours later
while the answer is on expected lines, which is more or less consistent with the information that I gleaned from the net, i am wondering why of the people the reply to my query was given by a pediatrician!! are old people equated with children!!
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.
Please do not misunderstand or feel offended.
Firstly, a paediatrician is a specialist doctor who has the knowledge and competence of a general practitioner as well as an additional degree and skill for treating kids.
Your query was posted in Ask a doctor application which can be answered by all doctors who have the basic qualifications (MBBS) and I knew that I could help you as I knew the subject matter pertaining to your query thoroughly.
As a doctor, I felt it was my responsibility to respond to you rather than make you wait for hours for the same information.
If you wish to know anything more or have any more doubts, please feel free to ask and I assure that you will receive an authentic detailed answer for any of your queries.