Hoarse after swallowing down wind pipe, coughing

ENT Specialist
Im hoarse after swallowing down the wrong pipe and also keep coughing. The veggie pattie I was chewing I'm came out. But now I'm super hoarse.
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The hoarseness following aspiration of the food material could be due to two reasons:
1. Retained foreign body in the wind pipe
2. Swelling over the vocal cords following violent cough

With respect to the aspiration, if you feel there is breathing difficulty along with hoarseness, please report to the doctor immediately. There are chances of some food material getting trapped in the lower part of the respiratory tract giving rise to constant irritation followed by cough.

Secondly, due to violent cough there can be rupture of the superficial blood vessels present over the vocal cords causing bleeding below the epithelium and thus swelling. The swelling in turn can cause recurrent cough and hoarseness due to increased thickness of the vocal cords.

My suggestion to you is to consult your doctor and get a thorough examination of the vocal cords and the chest. Meanwhile do steam inhalation and drink plenty of warm water.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Hoarse after swallowing down wind pipe, coughing 23 minutes later
I coughed twice and the food particle came up. I'm not short of breath but feel like I have been screaming which I haven't.
I had neck and back surgery two months ago and after surgery my throat was very scratchy. Could it still be irrirated from surgery and now this is happening?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back

Q: Could it still be irrirated from surgery and now this is happening?

A: The irritation in the throat following surgery was due to endotracheal tube intubation and that is not related to the present condition.

In the absence of shortness of breath, the hoarseness could be due to swelling of the vocal cords, following the bout of cough.

You can try the following home remedies such as steam inhalation, drinking plenty of warm water and absolute voice rest. Avoid very hot or chilled beverages/alcohol/smoking till you recover. If the hoarseness persists even after two days, please consult your doctor.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon