Hives with swelling in hands & feet after taking recreational cocaine, took benadryl, no relief. What in cocaine cause so?

Question
I did some recreational cocain ( I know NEVER AGAIN I DON'T EVEN DRINK) and am now covered in large raised angry hives and have swelling in hands and feet. I too benydryl. No relief. What is going on? I realize cocaine could be cut with anything but what kind of commOn drug or additive in cocaine could be causing such a severe reaction. I tried cocaine a couple (honestly that is all) times recently for first time and had no reaction.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Drug Abuse
Follow-up: Hives with swelling in hands & feet after taking recreational cocaine, took benadryl, no relief. What in cocaine cause so? 19 minutes later

cid:B6BD6017-2291-4F5F-9284-68F46F656B46/photo.JPG

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone
Follow-up: Hives with swelling in hands & feet after taking recreational cocaine, took benadryl, no relief. What in cocaine cause so? 2 minutes later
cid:8E02D4FE-255E-4BD2-9F27-EC41CE4408C6/photo.JPG

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 50 minutes later

Sometimes cocaine is mixed with many unknown ingredients which can cause a hypersensitivity reaction in susceptible individuals.Such reactions often present with hives often self limiting but some times can get serious and may need emergency management.

I would suggest you to visit the ER as soon as possible and make sure that this does not get worsened.Mild antihistaminics like Benadryl may not work in this condition.May need treatment with Intravenous antihistaminics or steroid injections.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Hives with swelling in hands & feet after taking recreational cocaine, took benadryl, no relief. What in cocaine cause so? 12 minutes later
Yes well dah I amhaving "sensitivity" ala photos sent caused by something in the drug. I didn't needy pay to be told that! Thequestion really is what are mostcommo
Or likely drug either overdoses that cause hives. For example if drug was laced with an amphetamine like aderall would and too much ingested would thatcause hives. I mean I smoothing fir a more profound sanders then telling me what I already know. If an iv weregiben in hospital would tHat justcontaim a very large doseof regular Benydrl?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Firstly,I am sorry that I was unaware of your knowledge.

Cocaine is frequently adulterated or “cut” with various powdery fillers to increase its weight and effect. The substances most commonly used in this process are methamphetamine, benzocaine, inositol and baking soda any amongst these can cause hypersensitivity in susceptible people.

Yes, when laced with amphetamine or levamisole can cause such hives.

IV treatment for hypersensitivity may include higher doses of antihistaminics of class other than Benadryl and also may include steroids.

Hope I answered you in complete.