Hives on vertebrae, no itching. Any thoughts?

As I was changing into my pjs I noticed what look like welts or hives on 5 of my vertebrae. They don't itch and rant hot or even raised (just stick out where the bone is...). Any thoughts as to what is causing this?
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 26 minutes later

Thanks for your query
I understand your concern and I hope I am able to help you for the same.

Now from the description of the skin rash that you have provided, i have two things in my mind. Either you have developed a lesion of vector dermatitis (insect bite) or it can be a lesion of fixed drug eruption.

But before we can come to the exact diagnosis, I would like to have a close look at the skin lesion. It would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the skin rash and upload them here on this page. You can also email the pictures to YYYY@YYYY with subject line as “attention to Dr. Geetika Paul”.

Also there are certain things that i would like to know from you.

What is the exact duration of appearance of the skin rash?
Is there any associated pain?
Any similar lesions in the past?
History of any drug intake in the past 7 to 10 days?

It would be great if you can send me the pictures and provide me the above information.

Waiting for your response,

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Hives on vertebrae, no itching. Any thoughts? 7 hours later
It does it itch or hurt. I have no idea how long they have been there. I am not taking any medications. My husband says they look like bites but can't see an actual bite XXXXXXX I gardened all day yesterday but my back was covered. I think it is strange how they are in a line right on my spine.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 22 minutes later

I have seen the attached picture .The lesion that you have developed is that of vector dermatitis or insect bite.

Vector dermatitis is a type of irritant reaction seen due to pederin, which is a substance secreted by insects. The skin rash seen in these cases is usually linear in nature.

Now you need to apply a topical antibiotic-steroid combination over the affected area atleast twice a day for the next 3 to 4 days.

Sometimes oral antihistamines are needed if the rash is causing any burning or discomfort.

The lesions usually subside only with topical treatment and I am sure it will help in your case too , however if at any time you feel that the lesions are increasing inspite of the treatment, then you might need to see a dermatologist as sometimes courses of oral antibiotics or oral steroids are required according to the skin condition.

Do not apply any other oil or creams over the skin lesion.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wishing you speedy recovery,

Dr Geetika Paul