Hives, feet red and itching after hot shower. Is it treatable?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
19 years old
5 ft 9.5
125 lbs
Type 1 Diabetes
Asthma
Allergy to Dairy, Penicillin, Sulfa

Several months ago before the summer, I met with a pulmonologist and was diagnosed with pneumonia. Given my diabetes, the doctor advised Avelox for treatment. Being afraid of taking a relatively potent drug, I tried Zithromax first. After three days of suggested use, I began developing itchy, raised hives over my legs and arms. My cough also wasn't subsiding so I decided to switch to Avelox. I do not remember exactly how long I treated myself with Avelox, but after what seemed like a week, my pneumonia was more or less gone. I felt much better. Hives continued throughout the week when I was using Avelox, but I thought it was the residue from the Zithromax rather than from the Avelox.

Here I am, six months later. The pneumonia is long gone, but unfortunately the hives keep coming back. Since the day I noticed it after taking Zithromax, the hives have been coming back sporadically and I can't seem to identify the source. After I take a warm~hot shower, my feet get red and I feel them itching. I also get hives after wearing warm clothing or long-sleeve shirts for prolonged periods of time. In other words, the hives seem to arrive upon exposure to heat. I never had this before! Sometimes, the hives arrive after I eat some food. I ate an XXXXXXX the other day and got the hives half an hour later.

What is going on? Why am I getting hives? Is it treatable? Any guidance greatly appreciated!
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Getting hives repeatedly specially on exposure to heat is suggestive of allergy and cholinergic urticaria.

It is characterised by a hypersensitive response in the skin as a result of the body increase in temperature (passively or actively), or the release of sweat.

Some common treatments include taking antihistamines (such a Allegra, Zyrtec, or stronger ones), avoiding known triggers (such as hot weather, physical activity, and spicy foods), corticosteriods (only for extreme cases), anabolic steroids, UVB therapy, sweat/exercise therapy, diet changes (such as avoiding known trigger foods), and more.

You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your dermatologist.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal