Hives all over the body. Eat peanuts and tomatoes on a regular basis. Am I allergic to them?

I developed hives over the weekend, all over the my body. I eat peanuts, tomatoes, drink soymilk (soymilk for last 3-4 mos) on a regular basis. I am stumped as to why I reacted with hives and on face. Was my reaction to what I ate that evening ? or day before? or is my body reacting to tomatoes and says I don't like them anymore ? I take pravastatin for cholesterol and take cranberry supplement for the last year and half. I did have my hair colored on Friday but this rash broke out 3am on Sunday. I am very stumped and now don't know WHAT to avoid. Saw PCP this morning he is sending me for bloodwork that includes testing for food allergens. I am on prednisone and Hydroxyzine. very stumped... . The PCP today also told me to take Vit C 500 mg 3x a day. XXXXXXX Greene Any words would be appreciated
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Nothing to be worried.... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for your query. Allergic reactions are Type I hypersensitivity reaction which usually occur immediately over hours to days on exposure of allergens. So, whatever you have told about the food stuffs and drugs, These are the same you are using for months. So, there is very rare possibility of these being culprit. One remote possibility may be the hair coloring agent which has taken some time to interact with body mucosal surface. Anyway, you have been prescribed with strong antiallergics including prednisone. They will take care of. If something comes in the test for food allergen, those can be avoided or if a single agent immunotherapy can be given. Don't be worried..... we use to be allergic to so many things, to whom we are exposed knowingly or unknowingly. Best wishes