Hiv pcr real time quantitative test showed negative. Chances of getting HIV through oral sex?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
I recieved an unprotected oral sex 38 days back. I was only the reciever and the incident happened for like 30 secs. I took a HIV PCR real time QUANTATIVE TEST after 30 days and the result came as "less than detection limit". What does this mean? Can i take these results as confirmatory and move on in life. I am very confused. Pls advice.
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 9 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks for your posting your query.

The chances of getting HIV through oral sex is very very low.

Regarding the interpretation of the results, there are two types of HIV PCR.
1.DNA PCR
2.RNA PCR

DNA PCR has more diagnostic value and is highly reliable after 3 weeks. It will say whether you are having HIV or not.

Whereas RNA PCR is more useful as a prognostic one. That is it will give the exact value of viral load in the individual's body.

I think that you had underwent a RNA PCR. A DNA PCR will be more valuable for to rule out HIV.
Don't worry you will unlikely to have HIV.
Dr.S.Murugan

Follow-up: Hiv pcr real time quantitative test showed negative. Chances of getting HIV through oral sex? 2 hours later
thank you so much doctor. I never had any cuts or sores in my penis. Between when I asked the lab people about the "less than detection limit", they said it is negative. Is it correct? Pls advice. M very tensed. Have you heard about any hiv transmission occuring through recieving oral sex. Pls advice. I did it unknowingly. Even I am a tamil guy from Madurai.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 59 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back with your follow up questions.

'Less than detection limit' means either a totally negative for HIV or an individual's viral load is well under control.

DNA PCR or P24 Antigen test only is more confirmatory to rule out HIV at this stage.

I assure you that getting HIV through through oral sex is a very rare possibility. Those who are having frequent oral sex may have a chance in one in 0000 or so.
Relax yourself and if possible have another test with DNA PCR or have an antibody test after 12 weeks and confirm yourself not got infected.
Good luck to you.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Hiv pcr real time quantitative test showed negative. Chances of getting HIV through oral sex? 12 minutes later
thank you so much doctor XXXXXXX I heard from a doctor for a person who is newly infected will have viral load that is very high after the pcr window period of 2 to 3 weeks. Since, my viral load is less than the detection after 30 days. Will it be a sign that it is negative? Pls advice doctor. Thank you so much in advance.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 33 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome back.

You are absolutely correct. Before antibodies are formed viral concentration are expected to be very high if one got infected with HIV. This viral titre will gradually be expected to rise. As you said, by thirty days it must be high if you got infected. As it is undetectable level there is every possibility that there is no infection. If you satisfied, further tests are not necessary.
Good luck to you.
Dr S.Murugan

thank you so much for your reply doctor.

(i)In your personal opinion is further testing required in my case?
(ii) I have also heard hiv infected people who have antiviral medications can only have less than detection limit? Is that true?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Pleased to answer your questions.

1. Virus at not detectable level always means that there is a remote possibility that one could have very few virus in their body.
If the test says that you have no infection, then I will be preferable to have more confirmatory test for my patients to rule out possibility totally, even though theoretically it holds good.
2. Of course patients on ART drugs for more than 6 months are likely to have the test result outcome as viral level undetectable.
If you do not have more questions let us close the conversation.
Wish you all the best.
Dr S.Murugan