Hiv pcr quantitative test showed negative after unprotected oral sex. Should I be concerned?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I recieved an unprotected oral sex 38 days back. I was only the reciever and the incident happened for like 30 secs. I took a HIV PCR real time QUANTATIVE TEST after 30 days and the result came as "less than detection limit". What does this mean? Can i take these results as confirmatory and move on in life. I am very confused. Pls advice. I dont have any hiv symptoms and also any cuts or sores in my penis.
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Please dont worry, you are safe.
First of all there is almost negligible chance of spread of HIV through oral sex.
As the load of virus in saliva is very less.

Secondly there would have been chance to get infected only if there was a break in mucosa like cut or ulcer on glans, which you dont have.

Thirdly PCR is highly sensitive in early cases of HIV. If that shows less than detectable that means your are safe.

Feel free to ask if you have any other query.
Thank you

Follow-up: Hiv pcr quantitative test showed negative after unprotected oral sex. Should I be concerned? 12 minutes later
thank you so much for your reply doctor. does less than detectable limit means I am negative? Is further testing required in my case? Pls advice doctor. M very tensed. Have you heard of transmissions occurring through receiving oral sex?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 9 minutes later

Thanks for follow up.

Yes, that is a way of reporting, it means it is negative.
Please don't get tensed. I have not seen any case of HIV transmitted though oral sex.

In fact, saliva has inhibitory substance which kills the virus.
So don't worry, just relax, you are safe.

If you find the discussion useful, kindly rate it before closing.
Thank you

Follow-up: Hiv pcr quantitative test showed negative after unprotected oral sex. Should I be concerned? 19 minutes later
thank yu so much doctor for mitigating my stress and anxiety. I am going to get married next month. Can i have unprotected sex with my wife? Is further testing required? thank you so much in advance.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 35 minutes later

Yes, sure you can have unprotected sexual intercourse without any fear.
No further test needed.

Wishing you a happy married life.

Thank you