Hit the elbow, knot gets bigger, tingling in the fingers. What can be the reason, advise?

i fell about 3 mos. ago in the bath tub and hit my elbow hard .now i have a knot on it all the time and it gets bigger and smaller but yesterday it started making my hand and arm hurt .hurts to make a fist and sometimes my fingers are tingly.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 6 hours later

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to have fractured your elbow3 months back. At that time you should have Xrayed your elbow and visited an orthopedician.

2. A swelling at this stage could be due to soft tissue swelling, non resolving hematoma or a malunion of the old fracture.

3. The swelling is probably pressurizing your nerve giving rise to tingling numbness.

4. You need to visit an orthopedician at the earliest, get an xray done (MRI is a mores sensitive investigation if soft tissue involvement is suspected).

5. I would suggest that you should visit an orthopedician and get it clinically examined and investigated as suggested above.

6. A malunion needs surgical correction. A non resolving hematoma can also be surgically removed.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra