Hit on the left side of knee causing painful and protruding vein. What should be done?

I was accidently hit on my left left side of my knee on the right leg and my vein is really hurting and is protruding...What should I do?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

What has happened is the formation of a hematoma under the skin due to the trauma to the knee. Hematoma is a collection of blood caused by XXXXXXX bleeding. This must be appearing as protruding vein. Are you able to bend your knee? In case there is significant pain and swelling then a fracture should be ruled out but an x-ray.

For the hematoma and phlebitis, apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory painkiller like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac after consulting your doctor.

You may need these painkillers twice of thrice daily. Hematomas of the skin and soft tissues are often treated with RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation). If symptoms do not subside then this hematoma may need to be drained. A physical examination and MRI of the soft tissue in the area can confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.