Hit on the back of calf causing swelling down the knee, soreness. What should be done?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I was playing touch football last night and someones knee hit me in the back of my calf. I figured it was a XXXXXXX horse but now from my knee down is swollen and very sore to walk and move. What should I do?
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

Considering the mechanism of trauma and your symptoms, I do not think there is bone fracture or ligaments/meniscal damage. It seems like this is only muscle contusion or strain resulting in pain and swelling which is usual sign of such injuries. If you experience difficulty walking, pain while sitting or at rest, or if you notice change in shape of calf muscles and loss of sensation, you should see doctor as there could be muscle rupture.
Until that you should rest, keep your leg elevated, apply some cold ice on it (not longer than 15 mins per hour), take ibuprofen for pain. This should heal in 7-10 days. If not, you should do ultrasound and knee x-ray to check for some more serious damage, but I do not think this would be necessary in your case.

Wish you good health. If you have anything to ask me, I would be glad to help.