Hit on lower middle back. Little swelling appeared. Suggest some remedy

Good

Nephrologist
Question
My mother aged 85, about 6 days back, got a hit on her right side lower middle of back. Th nearby Doctor verified and confirmed that NO Fracture; only muscle strain; there was very little little swelling (now it is almost NIL). Can you please recommend remedy. Also she is not getting sleep at night. Last 5 days she was given Voveran 50 and daily she was given hot fermentation morning. She has been taking NICARDIA RETARD 10mg TWICE DAILY AND she was taking Celedol-100 once a day for quite a long time - almost 3 - 4 years for knee joint pain. My e-mail id is YYYY@YYYY . Her appetite is quite low. Today her weight was 49.5 Kgs and her height is 152CMs (61"). She is NOT Diabetic.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I would like to find out from you a few things in order to come to a better conclusion

1. How bad is the pain? Is she able to move around normally or her daily activities have been reduced secondary to the pain?
2. How long has she been hypertension?
3. Has x XXXXXXX of the knee been taken for the knee pain? Any work up done?
4. When was the last time her blood pressure was checked? How much was it? Was an ECHO (scanning of the heart) done anytime in the recent past?

Please get back to me with the answers. I am awaiting your reply

I wish her a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Hit on lower middle back. Little swelling appeared. Suggest some remedy 16 hours later
1.     How bad is the pain? Is she able to move around normally or her daily activities have been reduced secondary to the pain?

She complain of more pain when she wakes up after a 2-3 hours sleep. Otherwise, pain is felt only when turning sides on bed, if injury spot is touched with pressure. Now and then she complain of pain in hip area. She is able walk normally – of course, very slowly because of age, less strength.

2.     How long has she been hypertension?

Almost 15 Years

3.     Has x XXXXXXX of the knee been taken for the knee pain? Any work up done?

No. It was not necessary as felt by orthopedic surgeon. Joint movements were checked and found to be OK. Only a pain gel was given for regular application

4.     When was the last time her blood pressure was checked? How much was it? Was an ECHO (scanning of the heart) done anytime in the recent past?

Under medication, BP is 130 / 90 about 20 days back. No ECHO so far. Her health, but for the above, is really good. She can’t consume food too much is my worry but not her’s.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 17 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I would suggest the following things for you.

1. A pain killer preferably a combination of aceclofenac with paracetamol when she is in pain. Please do not exceed 1 tab a day and not more than 4-5 days.

2. Since she is a hypertensive for 15 years now I would like her to undergo an ECHO cardiogram to look for hypertensive changes of the heart, if there are any she should be shifted to another hypertensive called ACE/ARB which will reverse that and also protect her kidneys, heart, brain, etc from hypertensive changes. Please approach a cardiologist for the same

3. An x XXXXXXX of the knee and calcium supplements could reduce the worsening of the knee pain. Let her continue applying the gel for the knee pain.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further ones please accept my answer

I wish your mother good health