Hit on head while on warfarin. CT scan normal. Feeling ear pain and memory loss. Are they related?

Oncologist, Surgical
Hit my head twice in same spot, right side while on warfarin. Had a normal CT head scan the following day. A little memory loss and confusion. Head continues to hurt and now right ear pain. Three days since head injury. Could ear pain be related?
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 hours later

I am sorry to hear about your condition and I am glad that you are seeking medical advice for the same.

Although getting a normal CT (a day afterwards) is reassuring but it does not completely rule out a head injury. Your age and your history of taking warfarin, puts you at a higher risk of developing a chronic subdural hematoma (collection of blood inside the brain, which manifests after an interval of few days to weeks). This hematoma usually occurs after a trivial head injury and manifests as confusion, memory loss and decreased orientation to time, place and person.

As you are showing these signs, I would strongly suggest that you visit the ER (Emergency Room) and have yourself checked out by a doctor. They might perform another CT for you to be sure that they are no collection of blood in the brain.

Hope it is nothing serious and you get well soon. If there is anything else I can help you with, please do let me know.

Get well soon.

Follow-up: Hit on head while on warfarin. CT scan normal. Feeling ear pain and memory loss. Are they related? 19 hours later

Thank you. Symptoms are getting better now and not worse and I will follow-up with more medical care if I am aware of confusion returning/increasing. I avoid ER to the point of fault and prefer to avoid further radiation. I find memory loss and confusion difficult to monitor on my own and have asked my family to watch out for this as well. I will return for a follow-up later this week if any symptoms remain. Ear pain has ceased for now and any possible relation to head injury was my question for you. I avoid Doctor offices as much as possible.

Thank you again. Your answer was appropriate and accurate.
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later

I am glad to hear that your symptoms are getting better including the ear pain. Ear pain can be related to the head injury but if it recurs or notice blood oozing out from the ear please visit the doctor and no delay. Do consult your doctor if your symptoms get worse. It is good if you keep your family members informed and to monitor your symptoms.

I was able to answer your query appropriately.

Hope you get well soon.