Hit neck and back. Concerned about hematoma on neck. What to do further?

My 5 y.o. daughter feel backwards out of her chair and hit the back of her neckon small bookcase. She has a red XXXXXXX about the size of a quarter in the middle of her neck. No complaints of back pain, blurred vision, headache and no fever, but I am concerned about the hematoma on her neck and wondering if I should seek medical care even though she is not complaining. I have applied ice pack 2 X 20 minutes and have her head and neck elevated.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

From the information provided it looks to me like she has only a small hematoma in the neck due to bleed in the subcutaneous tissues. In the absence of other neurological symptoms at this point of time I personally feel close observation and continuing on the ice pack would be an ideal option in her.

So I personally feel wait and watch is the best policy at this point of time. If you notice any new symptoms like neck pain, difficulty in moving the neck and motor or sensory symptoms in the hands or feet you need to see a spine surgeon for a good clinical evaluation and consultation.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.