Hit my head on pavement, having nausea, migraine. Concerned?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I fell Saturday, hit my head on pavement and been nauseous and a migraine. My eyes hurt too. Should I be worried and go get checked by a doctor.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX. welcome to health care magic forum.
These symptoms are usual after such injuries and in most cases dont need further evaluation BUT if you had loss of consciousness,amnesia or vomiting you need to go to hospital as soon as possible. Also if you notice any kind of tingling or sensation loss or nausea and headache persist for 24 hours, visit doctor too. Dont be alone till you have these symptoms so find someone to be close to you. Use regular pain killers and avoid light, noise,alcohol and smoking.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help".
Follow-up: Hit my head on pavement, having nausea, migraine. Concerned? 29 minutes later
I did have unconsciousness for a few but to be honest I was out with my husband and a friend in which I don't drink but had that night. I cannot seem to recall certain things yet my husband said I only had 3 beers and 1 shot. So, I am worried about all of this together and I was sick the day after, but we thought it was because I don't drink and had. I am really worried and wondering if I should go to a doctor
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 42 minutes later
Well, knowing this story unfortunately you should go to hospital. Guidelines say that CT scan should be performed in every patient with head contusion who was drinking. Also neurologic examination. Reason for it is because it is hard to differentiate is amnesia, nausea and strange behaviour caused by alcohol or by intracranial pathology such as bleeding or hematoma. It is probably just a minor trauma but some serious injuries must be ruled out so I suggest to visit hospital definitely.
Wish u good health.