Hit my eye. Having numbness, pain. MRI came normal. Nerve damage or something else?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Hit my side of hit right next to eye. A week later i got constant numbness on cheek, side of head and next to mouth. No appetite, and it got me worried. The numbness got better, but everytimebl i wake up the right side of my neck is cold and there is numbness in the areas i described including my eye, sometimes on left side as well. I also have been having burning back pain and pin but not that sharp pain in both arms and sometime knees and legs. Brain mri was normal and i didnt have nerve damage. It has been almost 4 weeks now. What could this be?

Sometimes i feel as if my arm is weak and get migraines, when i never used to get them before.
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious illness. Moreover, MRI of brain is normal and it is also a good news.

In your case, the most likely cause of your numbness is the injury to the cutaneous nerve (nerve located in the skin of the affected region). This leads to numbness and it may take 6-8 weeks to completely resolve. If symptoms are troubling you, you may take medications such as pregabalin capsules.

Your other symptoms such as back and neck pain, pain in arms and numbness of arms could be related to minor pinched nerve in the neck region. If these symptoms persist for long, then MRI cervical spine may be done.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Hit my eye. Having numbness, pain. MRI came normal. Nerve damage or something else? 2 hours later
When i get the migraines, like sinus pressure and jaw becomes stiff
It happens when i take motrin or ibuprofen

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Ibuprofen (motrin) is a safe drug for migraine.

However, if you get frequent migraine headaches (three or more headaches per month), you should take preventive migraine medications such as topiramate, divalproex, beta blockers, etc.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Hit my eye. Having numbness, pain. MRI came normal. Nerve damage or something else? 1 hour later
But i never get migraines, it all started after hit

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
In that case, you need not take preventive medications now.
Continue taking ibuprofen as and when necessary for headaches.
Since your MRI brain is normal, there is no need to worry.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM