Ask a Dentist   »  

Hit my chin. Developed a hard, non-painful lump. Will it go away?

I fell a week ago and hit my chin.. There was a small scrape and a fair amount of bruising. The bruise covered the left side do my jaw and ran down under my chin to my neck. The bruise is almost gone now but I have a hard, non-painful lump on my chin...this is the tip of my chi bone just to the left of center. The lump is firm and feels almost numb. It's changed my chin line...will it go away?
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Post injury haematoma developed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

As per the history posted here and the attached report I can say that the lump should definitely go away.

It is haematoma developed upon injury can apply ice packs on and off.Slowly it should regress,probably within two weeks time.

Please note, in any case if you find any changes like pain,redness or increase in swelling you must seek your dentist's help for a jaw x XXXXXXX

Also I hope there is no difficulty in chewing,talking or jaw movements.If you find any such symptoms please go for x XXXXXXX without hesitation.

Hope i have answered your query in detail.For any further assistance please let me know.

Follow-up: Hit my chin. Developed a hard, non-painful lump. Will it go away? 33 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt answer. I have no trouble chewing or any other problems with my teeth or jaw. The bruise is almost fact the bruising never showed where the lump is. I thought an hematoma was a bruise...with discoloration and painful to the touch. The purple bruise showed farther to the left of the lump and continued down under my chin to my neck. The lump has not changed, it has no discoloration or soreness, but is firm to the touch. Like I said before it's mostly numb to touch. This is the exact spot where my chin hit the floor though. At 57 years old, I've never experienced anything like this before! I do hope it will go away...since the rest of the swelling has gone down, this lump is visible. (The picture I sent was taken the night of the fall, a week ago)
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Haematoma in healing phase.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for reply.

As you have mentioned the lump has not changed,it has no discoloration or soreness.Therefore it clearly indicates that there is no infection.

Yes, due to injury to the underlying soft tissue,bone and muscles it will take time to heal.

Please note, diabetes should be under control during this phase of healing because diabetes prolongs healing of tissues.Therefore please keep a close monitoring on that too.

As far as lump is concerned,it should heal due to natural body response soon.

you should be worried only when you find changes like redness,increased swelling,raised temperature etc, else do not worry at all.Numbness is sign of nerve injury.Nerves regenerate within 2 to 3 weeks.So do not worry please.Wait and watch.

Locally you can apply antiseptic lotion,If required.Take good nutritious diet for faster recovery.

Hope it helps.

Please let me know for further doubts.